Friday, July 29, 2016

Two More Reps

In 2013, when I first started P90X, I was quickly captivated by the witty banter, silly pterodactyl impressions, and quick tips that Tony Horton would throw out during the workouts. Motivation was always a struggle for me and it was easy for me to half-ass a workout or get distracted and walk away from the TV before I finished. Something about this workout program was different and I believe it was Tony Horton, 100%! His corny jokes, his encouragement, and let's be real when he was correcting someone or telling someone not to stop, not to quit, I felt like he was talking directly to me because usually that's exactly what I was struggling through. (And yes, I'm totally aware he can't see me, and he is not talking directly to me.) 


He would give modifications for harder moves and all of his tips helped me learn how to properly execute each one. But one of those tips has stuck with me since then and has become my workout mantra. I'm sure I'm paraphrasing, but he would repeatedly say to go until you couldn't and then do two more reps. (Unless, the weight is over your face...then "don't smash your face!")


Y'all as long as I've been working out, I would always stop when it hurt. In my head that was my limit and I didn't see any benefit to pushing beyond that. What I learned from Tony Horton was that the best work is done in those last two reps. When you feel like you've got nothing left, but you push through those last two. It's the best feeling and your body is really doing work. That's where the results come from.


When I took up running earlier this year, it was so easy to transfer that "two more reps" mentality to "two more steps." And using that allowed me to push myself farther every single day. The best thing I've discovered is that so often, when I think I have nothing left, and I force myself to pull out those last two reps, what I'll realize is that I have more to give. And those last two reps become two more and two more. 


It's such a simple idea, but to those who have never worked out or never push outside of their comfort zone, this could revolutionize your workouts. Those results your struggling to find...they are waiting for you...just outside of that same comfort zone. Push past the discomfort and the thoughts in your mind telling you to quit. You can do this, you can do those last two reps, take those last two steps. 


No comments:

Post a Comment