Friday, October 7, 2016

Pure Barre Pop Up Class {Review}

{Our pre-rain selfie}

Before I dive into the review I should probably give you a little background. Our local Pure Barre studio offered a pop up class at a new local brewery. (Side note: the brewery is one of our favorite night spots!!)

{Photo Cred: Brown Truck Brewery}

The day of the class, there was a huge storm rolling in. I was assured that the class would go on. The problem?? The brewery is small which meant no indoor area for the class. When I arrived, I saw that they had set up a huge tent and the class would be taking place inside the tent. This seemed like the perfect solution...until it started to rain. 

The rain found its way in and about 10 minutes into the class everybody's mat was floating. I'm not talking just a little bit of water, y'all. We were drenched! To lay down in your mat, you were laying in puddle. The instructors did offer space on the stage for anyone that wanted to take advantage, but it definitely wasn't feasible for us all to fit up there.

{This was still early on, by the end the mats were floating.}

The other issue was the sound system. I believe this was the first pop up class that the studio has put on, so issues are to be expected. The sound system was giving them a fit and for most of the workout, it was very difficult to hear the instructor.

So, take this review with a grain of salt. There is no way I can 100% review the class, because the extenuating circumstances made it impossible to fully take advantage of the class. With the backstory filled in, I'll try my best to accurately review the class without the bias of the negative experience caused by the rain. And please remember, that the studio did their best to make a good alternate plan and the fact that it didn't work out, was out of their control. 

WHAT IS PURE BARRE?


WHAT IS THE FLOW OF A TYPICAL CLASS?

Each class is 55 minutes. Our class started with a light warm up and stretching. We then alternated conditioning workouts while standing or laying on our mats. The video above describes the flow of a class in the studio.

{Photo Cred: Pure Barre}

WHAT MAKES PURE BARRE UNIQUE?

Pure Barre focuses on small isometric movements that are low impact. They believe these movements push your muscles to the point of fatigue. Because of the odd nature of the class I was able to attend, I didn't feel any muscle fatigue. It does, however, look like the in-studio classes are higher intensity than the pop up class. I would imagine that's because of the use of other equipment that is available only in the studio.

Pure Barre strives to help you create a long, lean figure rather than a "bulky," muscular figure.

{Photo Cred: Pure Barre}

MY BREAKDOWN...

I didn't find the workout to be challenging at all, however, considering that I wasn't able to fully participate in the class while try to divert water away from my purse and mat and trying to keep my daughter dry since she had tagged along. The movements that I was able to complete were simple and easy to follow. I would love to try another class, without the rain, and get a better feel for the intensity and effectiveness of the class.

WOULD I GO BACK?

I would definitely try another pop up class, provided that the skies were blue! After this experience, I'm not sure that I'm ready to pay for a class, but I would definitely go back, if for nothing else than to give the workout a fair shot. 

WHAT SHOULD YOU WEAR? WHAT SHOULD YOU BRING TO CLASS?

Their website suggests you wear long pants or capris and socks. For the pop up class, they also asked that we bring our own mat. If you're taking a class in the studio, I'm sure the mats are provided. And don't forget your water.

{Photo Cred: Pure Barre}

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PURE BARRE?

{Photo Cred: Pure Barre}

While the class may not have been a total success, I would love to take a second to thank Pure Barre and Brown Truck Brewery for hosting this pop up class. This was such a great offer and I'm thankful that I was able to take them up on it. Hopefully, they'll host another one and if I'm able to attend, I'll be sure to update my review.

{Photo Cred: Pure Barre}

No comments:

Post a Comment