Saturday, April 22, 2017

Day 4: Organize & Repurpose


Y'all, I know yesterday was not easy. I hope you managed to find some pieces that you absolutely LOVE and jammed out to some awesome tunes while you were trying on all those clothes! The good news? The hard part is over.

Today, we're going to start reassembling that closet of yours, make it user friendly, and display your clothes in a way that makes you want to wear them. Finding your outfit each day should be fun, not some time consuming hot mess that ends up in tears and a huge pile of clothes on the floor. No, I'm not speaking from experience...cough, cough. Let's just hope my husband doesn't actually read my blog or he'll be posting to the contrary. 

An organized closet is literally a welcoming space. Your clothes should be easy to see because items that you can see are 80% more likely to be worn!! That's why that shirt wadded up in the bottom of your closet hasn't been worn in the last year...you didn't even know it was there!

It should be really easy to look at the piles we created yesterday and determine what needs to be hung up and what goes in drawers. Obviously we won't be hanging your underwear in the closet and cramming your dresses into a drawer just isn't functional. 

Keep like items together. In my closet, I keep all of my shirts together. They are separated by color and flow from short sleeve to long sleeve. I suggest organizing colors from lightest to darkest. Visually it's just beautiful, but it also makes it super easy to find that specific top you're looking for. I do the same thing with my pants. Jeans first, then my colored pants, all hung together. 

Once you've hung everything that needs to be hung, on to the drawers. Try to be very intentional about what goes into the drawers. These items aren't seen like the ones in your closet, so they are less likely to be worn. I like to limit my drawers to pj's, underwear, socks, workout clothes, and scarves. If I had the space to display the ridiculous amount of scarves though, I definitely would. 


Mamas, I know it is super easy to get carried away and run off to Target to pick up all the totes and organizational goodies we think we need. But, don't!! I don't want you to purchase a single thing. Organization isn't about tools, it's about habit. Need something to organize your scarves? In the picture above you can see what I've used. It's a hideous green thing with 3 drawers that used to have art supplies in it. At some point I may replace it with something a little prettier, but this works just fine and didn't cost me a penny. Empty paper towel rolls work great as drawer separators. You can even cover them in leftover fabric or wrapping paper if you can't stand them plain. If you maintain the system you've created, then invest the money if you want. But wouldn't you hate to spend all that money only to let it all become a cluttered mess all over again?? I know I would!!

Alright girls, get to organizing. When you're all done, I would LOVE to see your handiwork! Take a second to hop over to Pinterest and send me a pic!!

And yes, there is a reason to tune in tomorrow!! I'm going to share my time saving tip to take your organized closet from good to great!! You won't want to miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment