Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Seminole Spicy Beer Chili

We're just a day away from the first official day of fall and it's football season, y'all! That means it's time for tailgating treats and my wardrobe is pretty much exclusively garnet and gold until January. 

{At our first game in Tallahassee, FL}

One of my favorite things about football and fall, is the food! I'm slowly getting on board with the pumpkin stuff, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about chili. Oh, the chili!!! I think my least favorite part about summer is that it's too stinking hot to eat chili. So today, I'm sharing my favorite chili recipe...but heads up, it's not totally guilt-free. 

Ingredients:

2 lbs lean beef (or ground turkey) 
2 red onions, chopped
29 oz diced tomatoes, in juice
30 oz tomato sauce
30 oz spicy chili beans, drained
1 c diced jalepenos
1/3 c chili powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1/4 c worcestershire sauce
1.5 tbsp Tabasco Chipotle Hot Sauce
1.5 tbsp Texas Pete
12 oz beer (I typically use Heineken usually, but we recently toured the Sierra Nevada Brewery so today's batch used their Oktoberfest)

**Watching your waistline? You can definitely leave out the beer. In my opinion it does completely change the taste, but it's still good without it. It just takes like a totally different chili recipe.** 

{Touring the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Asheville, NC}

1. Set your crock pot on low. Add diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, chili beans, beer, chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, worchestershire sauce, Tabasco and Texas Pete. Stir.

2. Brown ground beef (or turkey) in a skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally until evenly browned. Drain grease and add to crock pot. Stir.

3. In a skillet over medium heat, saute onions until soft. Add jalepenos. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer about 5 minutes and add to crock pot. Stir.

4. Let cook on low for 8 hours. 

{Enjoy!}


2 comments:

  1. You should make this for your mother. I'm a chili lover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made this for you, Ma, just without all the spicy goodness. ;)

      Delete