Friday, July 22, 2016

Eating Clean on a Budget…

Yes, it possible!!! I can remember the first time I tried to “eat clean.” I remember wandering around the grocery store, buying anything that said “organic” and just assuming that meant it was clean. I did no research and I knew nothing, but I trusted the labels and surprise, surprise I saw no success and my wallet took a big hit. That was it for me. I just couldn’t afford this clean eating thing.



Since then, I’ve spent a lot of time really learning about what labels tell us, but also what they don’t or what’s “hidden” on them. I’ve learned things to look out for and things to stay away from. But most importantly I’ve learned how to afford to clean eat without my budget taking a hit.

Today, I want to share some of my tips to help you eat clean and how to “afford” it.

1. The simpler, the better
Think vegetables, fruits, etc. Things that don’t come with a label!! I’m a huge fan of the farmers market. If I’m able to work it into my crazy schedule, I try to make it over there once a week for fresh produce, herbs, and meat. Everything just tastes a little better and the quality is just so much better than anything I can find in a grocery store.



2. Make a list
Don’t go into the grocery store blind. Know exactly what you’re shopping for. Having a grocery list is the biggest key to successfully keeping your clean eating budget friendly. When making my list, I try to keep an eye on what items I already have at home first. What do I have already that can help dictate what I’m going to make for the week?

3. Stick to the list
Once you’ve made your list, you’ve got to stick to it. You’re only buying ingredients for the meals you know you’re going to cook and the healthy snacks you know you’re going to eat. Absolutely nothing extra. This is where the importance of planning your list comes in. You want to make sure that you’ve planned everything you’re going to eat. You don’t want to make several trips back and forth to the store throughout the week, or that grocery bill will just keep growing.

4. Similar Ingredients
Try using similar ingredients for your recipes throughout the week. This will help prevent tons of leftover food that will go bad and you’ll end up spending less because you’re not buying tons of different ingredients. This DOES NOT mean your meals have to be boring or repetitive!! You can use similar ingredients and still create completely unique and delicious meals!! Pinterest may become your new best friend!!! For instance, if you know you’re buying zucchini for one recipe, look up other zucchini recipes to use up that produce. Don’t let it go bad. You can pair it with different grains, proteins, seasonings or other veggies to mix it up.

5. Don’t be afraid to try another store
You may have a go-to grocery store, one that you go to every week and that’s ok. But don’t be afraid to try something new. I like Walmart. They have everything I need in one place and with our new neighborhood market, I don’t have to wait in the long lines. But, their produce isn’t the best. I’ve gotten home only to realize that a 5-lb bag of potatoes was rotten – side note, have you ever smelled a bag of rotten potatoes?! I never knew something could smell that bad!! I seriously don’t know how I made it home with them before I realized there was a problem – I’ve bought raspberries and blueberries that molded by the very next day, and even found produce on display in the store with mold on it. That’s just not what I’m looking for. Now, if I have the time to hit the farmer’s market for my produce I will, but sometimes I just don’t have the time. For me, Harris Teeter is my favorite, but ONLY for produce. Their prices are much higher on everything else. Since the Walmart I like and Harris Teeter are just across the street from each other, I’ll visit Walmart first and get everything but my produce and then I’ll hop over to Harris Teeter for just the produce. It probably takes me an extra 10 minutes, and for me the quality of the food is worth it. Other people are big fans of Aldi, especially for their produce. That’s not my thing, but it may be yours. Don’t be afraid to try it!!

6. Know what clean eating really means
Just because a label says “organic” or “natural,” doesn’t mean that’s really what you’re getting. The regulation for our food is in all honesty pretty deplorable. It constantly amazes me what companies can get away with sneaking into our food all while their label makes it out to be healthy. Don’t worry if you feel confused, you’re not alone!! We’ve all purchased food we thought was healthy only to realize that it just wasn’t. The best way to know if what you’re buying is the real thing is to check the ingredients list. My rule of thumb is to see if there’s anything I can’t pronounce. If the ingredients aren’t real foods…neither is the food you’re buying. For example, strawberries are great for you. You may even be able to find strawberry jam that’s decent. But a strawberry poptart, or even those strawberry “granola” bars…nope! They’re filled with all kinds of junk. Don’t put that mess in your body!!! This really ties in with #1, the simpler the label the better.



7. Watch for sales
Most grocery stores will now email you their sales paper. This is one of the best resources you can use when meal planning. Does Harris Teeter have spaghetti squash on sale? Check Pinterest for some great recipes using spaghetti squash and take advantage of that deal! Just be sure to pay attention to any fine print. If it’s buy one, get one free, do you have to buy two or can you buy one at half price? You don’t want to be stuck with food you’re not going to use!! And never buy items you don’t need simply because they’re on sale, that’s one of the fastest ways to run up your spending.

8. You don’t always have to buy “organic”
That’s right, sometimes you really don’t need to buy it just because it says organic. So how do you know the difference? Here’s my cheat sheet!! Y’all this infographic seriously has some of the best information on it and I keep it saved on my phone as my own personal cheat sheet!

{Photo Cred: Daily Burn}

You may still feel overwhelmed and that’s ok. Maybe you feel like you need someone to walk through the grocery store, holding your hand, and telling you exactly which peanut butter to buy. Guess what? There’s an app for that. I discovered, FoodUCate a few months ago. You can use it to scan products while you’re shopping and it will score them with A, B, C, D, or F. The best part about the app is that it will tell you exactly why the food got that rating and suggest healthier items you can purchase instead. The only downside…it can be time consuming. To me, it was worth it because I was able to see what foods I was regularly purchasing that just didn’t measure up. The longer I used the app, the less I needed it. It was a great way to learn what to look out for and how to find healthier options on my own. It’s kind of like clean eating boot camp! 



Want to learn more about meal planning and eating clean? Join my August Challenge Group and learn all that plus some awesome meal prepping tips and tricks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment