Tuesday, August 16, 2016

15 Minute Rule to Snacking

Alright y'all, I've already shared with you my struggles with binge eating and food addiction, but today I'm sharing with you one of the tricks I used to break my snacking habit. The 15 minute rule. 

How often are you sitting on your couch dreaming about that last piece of cake in your fridge or that tub of rocky road in the freezer? Maybe you're scraping crumbs out of the bottom of the Dorito bag. Whatever your snack of choice is, you know that feeling when you just want to cave. You want to throw all that healthy eating out the window for a taste of that processed deliciousness.


The problem for those of us with food addiction is that we can't take our minds off of whatever that snack is. It consumes us until we finally cave. In 2013, I had to make a change. One of the simplest changes I made was implementing the 15 minute rule. Quite simply, if you don't still want it in 15 minutes, you don't eat it. If you're still thinking about it after 15 minutes, then you indulge in a small amount.


The kicker is that if more than 20 minutes go by before you remember that you wanted that snack, you have to start over. Almost every single time, I would not only forget about the snack because I knew I had to wait and I would get distracted, but I would even forget that I was keeping time!

It's so simple y'all, but if you implement the 15 minute rule and stick to it, you can break your unhealthy snacking habits too!!





No comments:

Post a Comment