Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Joy in the Journey

So often it's easy to get caught up in thinking about all the things that are going wrong or the struggles that we're dealing with. Looking back over my blog posts, I'm struck by how many struggles I've shared. Don't get me wrong, they're legitimate struggles that I've dealt with or am currently working through and I've tried to use them to help motivate you to keep fighting. But sometimes, just sharing the tough stuff can be a bit of a downer. So today we're flipping the script.

I definitely don't want any of you to think that every single day of this journey is going to be a struggle. Of course you'll have days you don't want to get up early to workout and you'll have days that you eat something you'll regret, BUT there is so much more than that. 

I think we all go into our own fitness journey thinking, I'll be happy when I lose a set amount of pounds. We get this number in our heads and let it define when we'll finally be able to look at ourselves with something other than disdain. But when you're really taking care of yourself, eating foods to fuel your body, and using your body in the way it was intended, you're going to have so many positive milestones. 

In my challenge groups, we call these our non-scale victories. Our "little" successes that aren't determined by a number on the scale. These are the real milestones. These are the things that will keep you motivated.

When I started losing weight in 2013, I felt like I had a mountain ahead of me and even when I felt the most motivated I knew it was going to be a daunting task to lose that much weight. I can remember the first day that my favorite pair of jeans no longer fit. Y'all they were maternity jeans and Emma was four. They were the only thing that fit, and if I can be totally real, they were a little tight when I got my wake up call. That feeling was incredible!! I cried, I laughed, and felt proud of myself for the first time in a long time...then I realized that I had nothing that fit to go out and buy something new to wear!! 

I don't think I've ever had so much fun shopping! I knew in that moment I was nowhere near my goal and I wasn't spending much on the clothes I had to buy, but to be able to pick up clothes that were a couple sizes smaller was like a dream come true. At that moment, I knew it wouldn't be easy, but it was definitely possible. Throughout that journey, every single time I went down another size the feeling was the same and that would motivate me like nothing else. 

The thing that is maddening and yet oddly funny now, is that as much weight as I had to lose then, it seemed like once I got my head in the right place, it just fell off. Granted, I know better than that. I worked out like a madwoman and completely changed my eating habits. Somehow this journey has been much more frustrating. With a lot less weight to lose and having already seen such amazing success, I thought this would be easy. It's been anything but. Every ounce I've lost has been a fight, but those "little" milestones are still there. 

I finally have clothes that I could barely get on that are loose. People stop me to tell me how much weight I've lost. And my favorite, I feel better. My energy levels are higher than they've ever been and it takes a lot to deplete them. Just ask my sweet friend Heather, who somehow still loves me even after forcing her to walk almost 30 miles in 100+ degree heat in the middle of August around Washington, D.C. 


When I first started losing weight, I just wanted to be able to play with my daughter without feeling completely exhausted or to bend over and be able stand back up without feeling winded. I hit those milestones long before I hit my number goal. Whatever your milestones are, I can promise you that the things that seem so small will be what keeps you willing to fight each and every day to reach your goal. Maybe that goal is a number on the scale, or your favorite pair of jeans that just won't zip. Whatever it is, you need these little victories to keep you going and y'all, they're just as rewarding as that ultimate goal. So, if you're struggling today and you feel like you're losing the battle, stop and look for these little milestones and enjoy the joy in the journey. 

Maybe you haven't gotten the courage to start your journey yet. I would love to get you started and be there with you to celebrate all of those little moments. So, if you're ready, I'm here. Email me and we'll get you signed up for my September Challenge Group. We'll smash those goals together and we'll celebrate the whole way!!




No comments:

Post a Comment