Saturday, August 13, 2016

Virtual Runs: Worth the hype?

If you're a runner on Facebook, you've most likely seen the ads for all kinds of virtual runs. There are charity runs, princess runs, superhero runs, patriot runs, pretty much if you can think of it, it's out there. After seeing these ads pop up regularly on my Facebook and seeing my husband complete one, I decided to check it out for myself. I feel like half the fun of a 5k, is running it with a group of people. I mean it's more for the experience than the actual process of running, right? I really just wasn't sure I understood the hype.

{Hubs completed the "Remember the Fallen 5k" in July}

So, after browsing several of the runs, I decided to go with the Taco Run. I had this whole cheesy idea that I would run it on a Tuesday and make tacos afterwards to celebrate. Let's be realistic though. During the week, I have to get up at 5:00am just to get in a 30 minute run before the hubby leaves for work. And I'm definitely not at a place where I can run a 5k in 30 minutes. So running a virtual 5k on a Tuesday, honestly just isn't going to happen. Plus, even if I could get the run in, does anyone really want to eat tacos at 6:00am? Ok, tacos are good anytime, but who wants to cook them that early?!

{Photo Cred: Salsaritas}

The medal came and it's been sitting on my dresser for weeks, just staring at me. We have this really awesome medal display rack that my husband put together and it might be weird, but I couldn't hang the medal on there knowing I hadn't actually completed the race. So there it sat on my dresser...staring at me. I guess the hubs got sick of looking at it there because one day I noticed that medal was hanging on the rack with all the other medals. 


I hadn't run the race, but there was my medal proudly displayed like I had accomplished something. That burned me up. Y'all know how I feel about authenticity and I hated looking at that unearned medal hanging there, but in the interest of not letting my crazy show too much, I didn't say anything. It's been hanging there for a week...taunting me. Yesterday, in the midst of all the things I needed to accomplish to prepare for our DC trip, I decided that it was the day. Everything else could wait, I was earning that medal!

Y'all my weather app said it was 88 degrees, but I'm pretty sure it's a bold face liar because I'm quite certain it was really about 200 degrees out there. I ran. I jogged. I walked. I went uphill. I went downhill. I'm pretty sure I covered every single street in our neighborhood. I watched the sun set and dragged myself home after 4 miles. 


The heat was exhausting and I easily could have headed home much earlier, but knowing I had set a goal to earn that medal that was taunting me was enough to not only push me to my goal, but beyond it. While I'll admit, the virtual runs aren't near as fun as going to a 5k with a huge group of people just like me, it was definitely motivating and a whole lot cheaper!

Will I do another one? Absolutely. I think next time I would rather stick to the charity runs so I'm not just adding another medal to my collection, but actually doing some good too. The virtual run was definitely motivating and I think would be the perfect way to pull myself out of a slump. Definitely give one a try and let me know if you do. Maybe I'll sign up and we can run it together. 

So, get running, girlfriend!

2 comments:

  1. Good read. Very interested in feedback from people who run these races. Do you think it would make a difference that first you'd have to run the event and document it before a medal would be sent out? Curious to get your opinion on this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment!! I would definitely love to have a way to be held more accountable. You definitely lose the sense of community with these races as opposed to local races, but it really comes down to personal preference. Wouldn't you hate to run the race, forget to log the information, and then never receive the medal you already paid for? Could definitely lead to some issues, but I would certainly give it a try!

      Delete