Thursday, August 18, 2016

How To Drink More Water

Last week we discussed the benefits of drinking plenty of water, but even when you know the benefits, sometimes it's just plain hard to drink enough. And how much is even enough? I tell my challengers to take their body weight, divide by 2, and that's how many ounces they should be drinking each day. So if you weigh 100 lbs, you divide by 2, so you'll need to drink 50 ounces of water per day. 

Let's be realistic though, most of us don't weigh 100 pounds and we're looking at a lot more ounces per day. That can feel overwhelming and leave us wondering how we're going to drink that much each day. So today, let's talk through some tips to help you drink all that liquid gold. 

Tip #1: Water Bottle

Your water bottle is the key to your success...in more ways than one. First off, the bigger the bottle, the less times you need to refill it throughout the day. This makes it feel like you're not downing as much because you're not refilling as often. You can also purchase a water bottle that tracks your water intake. 

{Photo Cred: Pinterest}

Be sure to carry your water bottle with you at all times - take it EVERYWHERE you go! This will reduce the temptation to drink sugary drinks like soda and tea. I can't even tell you how many times I've been to a restaurant that only sells bottled water, which is fine if you don't mind the price tag, but the fact that you're paying significantly more for a whole lot less is kind of irritating. So often in our society, we're paying a much higher price tag to take care of ourselves. But if I have my water bottle with me, I don't have to worry about it. Plus, I can promise you that when you have that bottle with you, you're going to be sipping on it all day long. 

Tip #2: Drink before you snack

When you get the urge to snack, drink a glass of water. So often when we think we're hungry, we're just thirsty...and sometimes we're just bored. A glass of water can fill you up and help curb those cravings. 

Tip #3: Track your intake

Keep track with what you're drinking. I keep rubberbands on my water bottle. So if I need to drink 5 bottles, throughout the day, I have 5 rubberbands. When I finish a bottle, I remove a rubberband.

There are also all kinds of apps that can help you keep up with your water intake. There are straightforward apps like Waterlogged, that simply track what you drink and there are others that are styled like a game, like Plant Nanny. Type "water intake" into your app store search bar and you'll find all kinds of fun apps to help you make sure you're getting the water you need. 


Tip #4: Set an alarm

If you're really struggling and nothing else seems to work, try setting an alarm on your phone to remind you to drink. Some of the apps I mentioned in tip #3, will also send you alerts if you go too long without tracking your intake. 

Tip #5: Wake up call

When you wake up, drink 8 ounces of water. Start your day off right by getting those ounces in first thing. Once you start drinking, you'll be more likely to keep drinking. Set yourself up for success.


No comments:

Post a Comment