Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Setbacks & Failure...There's A Difference

Y'all as I tried to start my fitness journey this time around, I felt like the setback queen. Initially it was so hard for me to even find the motivation to begin working out, but then once I did it seemed like things just kept happening to throw me off course. 

In April, I took a trip to Disney with my family. It was a blast and a lot of walking. Y'all, a 29-year old should be able to do that. And I was, but about a week or so after getting back, I was in pain. Enough pain, that I went to the doctor and I don't go to the doctor. Stress fracture...from walking, y'all. They put me in a boot for 4 weeks. Setback.

{Emma Boo riding the tea cups with Alice}

I couldn't wait to get the darn boot off so I could get back to work. I think it had been off for less than 48 hours when I went for my first run. So much for easing back into things. If you know me at all, you're not surprised. I started the Couch 2 5K app and I stuck with running for a solid week. Things were going really well and my motivation level was awesome! 

{Photo Cred: Pinterest}

Then my husband and I decided to take a day and go hiking. We took a trail that we had never taken before which ended up being a horse & bridle trail. Just imagine a lot of poo & some giant flies. We still had a great hike and I was feeling so proud of us for spending that time together doing something active. But later that night I found several ticks and it wasn't long after that before I was sick. Sicker than I had ever been. 

{All smiles while we were hiking}

A trip to the doctor the next morning ended with me being sent to the emergency room with the fear that I had meningitis. 4 attempts at a spinal tap, lots of blood work, and a whole lot of medicine later, they sent me home. I was positive for Lyme Disease. Setback.

{Keeping spirits up at the hospital}

That first week, I honestly felt like I was dying. I've never felt pain like that or been so sick. But by week 3, I was going crazy. The meds they put me on meant staying out of the sun and I felt like a prisoner in my own house. I was worried that by the time I actually felt well enough to workout that my motivation would be gone. 

{Photo Cred: Oprah.com}

I was miserable and being trapped in the house, feeling so terrible, was making me depressed. I've battled with depression since 2006, but have found over the years that working out and quiet Bible study time can help, especially at the beginning. For me, I've got to nip it in the bud and use my medication as a last resort. Then, on top of being stuck in the house and sick as a dog, my mind starting messing with me. I couldn't remember things that there was no way I would forget...I mean I couldn't remember J.J. Redick's name (Ok, if you don't know me you're lost right now, but just know this is a huge deal) and I couldn't remember who he played for now (also a big deal!). And then, when I felt like it couldn't get worse, I couldn't read. I could see the words on the page but they didn't make any sense. It felt like everything was spiraling out of control and there was nothing I could do. That's a problem for a control freak like me.

But as time went on and I finished my medication and the next set of tests came back negative for Lyme, I finally started to feel better. And I realized that these setbacks didn't have to be the end for me. I wasn't going to stop!! So as soon as I was able, I started running again. And now you're thinking, "...and they all lived happily ever after..." but that's not what happened. 

{Photo Cred: Pinterest}

The first week I started running again, I discovered that I had plantar fasciitis. Then once I got that under control, I was dealing with dang shin splints!! Y'all the setbacks will continue to come. No matter how motivated you are or how hard you're working, you're going to have them. But how you deal with these setbacks is what will determine your success or failure.

Just because your body forces you to take a break or try a lighter activity doesn't mean you're quitting. And you only fail when you quit trying! So, if you're in the middle of a setback right now, know that you're not alone and this isn't the end of your story. Figure out what you can do while you're dealing with this setback. Don't use it as an excuse to sit around eating Cheetos. If you can't workout, you can still manage your food. There is always something you can do. Just don't quit!!

{Photo Cred: Hercampus.com}


No comments:

Post a Comment